Duterte still against Steve Harvey hosting Miss Universe 2016

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Miss Universe 2015 Host Steve Harvey (L) asks Miss Philippines 2015, Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach, a question during the interview portion of the 2015 Miss Universe Pageant at The Axis at Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino on December 20, 2015 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — President Rodrigo Duterte still does not want Steve Harvey to host the Miss Universe 2016 coronation night, and he is going to do something about it.

Tourism Secretary Wanda Teo, in a press briefing in Malacañang Thursday, said Duterte reacted negatively upon knowing that Harvey will be the host of the pageant, which will be held in the Philippines in January 2017.

"Ang sagot niya [Duterte], 'Hindi pwede. I'm going to talk to the Miss Universe na dapat hindi siya so that's my problem. I don't want him to be the host of the Miss Universe,'" said Teo.

[Translation: He answered, "He cannot host. I am going to talk to the Miss Universe that he cannot host so that is my problem. I don't want him to be the host of the Miss Universe.]

But Teo said Harvey will definitely host the pageant again because of his five-year contract with the pageant organization.

It was reported that Harvey has signed the contract a few days prior to his major blunder at the Miss Universe 2015 coronation night last December. He mistakenly announced Miss Colombia as the winner instead of the Philippines' Pia Wurtzbach.

Teo, meanwhile, said the Tourism Department is finding ways to solve the problem. She said a Filipina co-presenter may share the hosting duties with Steve Harvey to appease the President.

"Para medyo hindi talagang magagalit ang Presidente, siguro maglalagay ako ng girl from the Philippines that will co-host," she said.

[Translation: So the President will not get mad, we may add a Filipina to co-host.]

Philippine officials plan to hold the coronation night on January 30, 2017 at SM Mall of Asia.

Traffic and 'eyesores'

Candidates will start coming in on January 13 for other pageant activities. Teo said Davao, Cebu, Iloilo, and Vigan are possible stops of the beauty contestants.

President Duterte previously expressed concerns over the traffic jam that may arise from pageant activities. To help minimize traffic build up in Metro Manila, related pageant activities will be held in the provinces.

The government is hoping the pageant will put the spotlight on the country as tourist destination especially with the candidates set to hop from one province to another.

With the coronation night in Manila, Teo confirmed so-called "eyesores" in busy streets will be removed temporarily, including informal settlers.

"I think we're going to do that too, like when we did with the APEC and during the arrival of the Pope," she said.

Teo said the Department of Social Welfare and Development will take care of the informal settlers in a "humane" way.

The Philippines hosting the Miss Universe 2016 will cost the private sector 11 million dollars. The Tourism Secretary said the group of former Ilocos Sur Governor Chavit Singson has so far raised half of that amount as down payment —  a requirement of the Miss Universe Organization.

Related: ISIS threat on Miss Universe pageant?

CNN Philippines Senior Correspondent Ina Andolong, intern Karl Andrew Sonio contributed to this report.