Authorities: Hundreds dead due to 'Vinta'

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
maxPaginationLinks: 10

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, December 24) — Hundreds of families are left devastated as typhoon Vinta took away hundreds of lives before it exited the Philippines.

Conflicting numbers of casualties and missing persons were released by different agencies, but all figures report over 120 dead.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), in a press briefing on Sunday, said 123 are reported dead while 160 others are missing. The data are still for validation, NDRRMC spokesperson Mina Marasigan said.

Of the 160, only one has been confirmed missing.

Fourteen are injured according to the Health Department, Marasigan added.

Although the NDRRMC did not provide a breakdown, Marasigan said most of the casualties were from Lanao del Norte, Lanao del Sur, and Zamboanga del Norte.

Meanwhile, the Philippine National Police Region 10 said 135 died due to Vinta as of 9 p.m., Saturday: 127 in Lanao del Norte, six in Bukidnon, and one each in Iligan and Misamis Occidental.

Philippine Red Cross Chairman and Senator Richard Gordon, on the other hand, said 156 has died due to the typhoon, with 291 missing and 81 others injured.


Palawan 3rd District Representative Gil Acosta, speaking to CNN Philippines on Sunday, said there are also around 30 people missing, for verification, in the municipality of Balabac, where Typhoon Vinta last made landfall.

READ: Severe tropical storm 'Vinta' makes landfall in Southern Palawan, may intensify into a typhoon

Search and rescue operations are ongoing, the NDRRMC said. The agency said it has provided food and non-food relief goods amounting to more than P3 million.

Around 13,500 families are still in 198 evacuation centers in Mimaropa, Central Visayas, Zamboanga Peninsula, Northern Mindanao, Davao Region, Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao, and Caraga, NDRRMC said.

Typhoon Vinta (international name Tembin) was a tropical storm when it hit Mindanao on Friday.

It went out of the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) on Sunday morning as a typhoon, packing winds of 120 kph and gusts of 145 kph, the state weather bureau said.