Exclusive: Ombudsman Office to decide on Carandang's case this week

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, June 11) — The fate of Overall Deputy Ombudsman Melchor Carandang will be decided on this week.

Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales told CNN Philippines' The Source in an exclusive interview that the Internal Affairs Board was still investigating whether Carandang breached confidentiality.

"We should have something clear anytime [next] week," Morales said on Friday.

Carandang was tasked with investigating President Rodrigo Duterte's alleged hidden wealth. He announced last year that he received a report from the Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC) that showed Duterte's bank records amount to over ₱1 billion, but the AMLC denied this.

Carandang's statement that AMLC records showed Duterte's bank accounts had over ₱1 billion were consistent with claims from opposition lawmaker Senator Antonio Trillanes IV.

The senator accused the first family of receiving hundreds of millions of pesos from a businessman in the import-export trade named Sammy Uy. Trillanes filed the plunder complaint against Duterte at the Ombudsman in November, although it has since been junked.

The statement prompted Malacañang Palace to issue a suspension order for Carandang. But Morales defied it, slamming the order as unconstitutional. The Ombudsman has since said it would look into Carandang's case on its own.

Morales said that it was possible he would be found liable for either an administrative or criminal offense.

Nonetheless, she still sticks to her decision not to implement the President's order. She dismissed any talk of physically removing Carandang from office as "mere propaganda."

"I knew they would not do that," said Morales.

While the case on Duterte's alleged wealth was terminated, his son, former Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte, still faces investigation for graft and other crimes.

Morales has inhibited from all cases involving the first family, as her nephew Mans Carpio is married to Presidential daughter and Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte.

Despite the family affiliation, Morales has had a bumpy relationship with the President. She has criticized him for "goading" killings, and his allies have threatened her with impeachment.

She is set to retire on July 26, and administration critics fear that her post will be used to forward a political agenda.

Programming note: The Source interview with Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales airs today at 9:00 a.m., with replays at 2:00 and 7:30 p.m.