DOH: Central Visayas seeks dengue outbreak declaration in some areas

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

FILE PHOTO

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, February 15) — The Department of Health in Central Visayas is recommending the declaration of a dengue outbreak in some areas.

It cited the rising number of dengue cases in Lapu-Lapu City and Sibonga town in Cebu, Tagbilaran City, and five municipalities in Bohol, and Lazi town in Siquijor province.

In the data gathered by the Regional Epidemiology Surveillance Unit from January 1 to February 9, the region listed 3,076 cases and 24 deaths from dengue. The statistics are higher by 215 percent compared to the same period in 2018.

DOH Region 7 medical officer Ronald Jarvik Buscato told CNN Philippines on Friday the average number of cases in the past five years has gone beyond 10 percent.

"We started preparing everyone as early as August of last year, so we intensified all our efforts and we are very happy na I could say for Central Visayas na very responsive naman yung local government units natin. We already drafted several plans, like intensification of search and destroy, because 'yung lang naman ang pinaka-effective," he said.

Regional DOH officials are also integrating the campaign against measles and dengue. This mean they will include dengue in the house to house campaign intended for measles.